Thursday, June 9, 2011

Lase Off!

Well, here is some very useful tech that may (1) protect cyclists, (2) easily shake up conventional types, and (3) possibly really annoy others. Englishwoman Emily B. invented a nifty laser that when affixed to one's handlebars lasers a bike image onto the pavement. Very slick. 


Brooke hopes the laser will increase the awareness of bikes on the road



Yet, when this green delineation isn't protecting pedalers, I could see drivers rolling their windows down to pepper laser-users with suspicious inquiries (I had experienced this once after I had affixed a video camera to back of my bike)...or more likely shoot cold stares or nasty comments at them. Not that I dislike this veritable head-up display for unconscious motorists -- its very nifty as far as I am concerned, and useful -- but it's got edgy, creative innovation. Central PA local yokels, like Jackhamma, would take one look at that bike image and think there's more reason to get us off the road.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to pedal in a laser-generated Batmobile!

Ben said...

I am sure that Alfred can find something for your in the Bat Cave....especially if you're in the northwest coastal region of the USA....

Mark said...

I would like a device that warns drivers that they are within the 3 foot rule and that if they proceed past me a giant key appears so that if they keep driving they are going to get keyed!

Ben said...

Ah yes, anti-car tech. I think the original version of this kind of stuff was the trolley & horse.

Andy in Germany said...

The cyclist in the picture is close to the 'blind' spot of the bus, but the projected cyclist is in front of the driver. It may be useful in protecting cyclists by making drivers more aware of them alongside vehicles.

And some drivers just get annoyed at cyclists: it makes no difference what you do.